PA Call and Schedule management/Holiday Time

• 15 Jan 2018 9:34 AM
    Message # 5683633

I am reaching out to see if anyone can guide me on how their current practice manages PAs schedules, including call schedule, clinic schedule vs. OR time and PTO requests and holiday time. We are a small pediatric neurosurgery practice with 2 neurosurgeons and 3 PAs. Each week the 3 of us rotate between surgery, clinic and OR first assist. We do not have residents. We each take call 7-8 night per month and are reimbursed for it but our MDs are requesting we cover every night and weekend which would add an additional 2-3 nights pre month. In reviewing the AAPA annual survey we are covering more call then most PAs that report they take call so we are resisting picking up more. In addition they are asking us to only take PTO when convenient to the "neurosurgery practice".  They also are asking to manage our daily schedule in order to dictate where we are at any given time. I am curious how other practices do this and how it works if you have residents. We are being used similar to how a resident may cover the service and this is something we are trying to stay away from.

Thank you in advance to anyone who responds! 

©2018 Association of Neurosurgical Physician Assistants

Mailing Address: ANSPA, 6025 Shore Blvd S #401, Gulfport, FL 33707 | Phone: 813-766-8807 | Email anspa@focus-ed.net